Thursday, March 31, 2011

March Books

In defense of Food: I liked it fine, the one take away point I got was his suggestion to not eat anything your grandmother would not recognize as food. He thinks our eating habits have changed so much in the past couple of generations that our bodies have not evolved fast enough to cope with the change, and hence we suffer from a whole lot of new health problems.

Angela's Ashes : I finally gave up on this book. It has taken me forever to read it. Actually that is not true, it took me forever to pick it up between readings. It was just so god damned painful to read it. It describes poverty and hunger in such great detail and so close and personal it makes you cognizant of the painful lives other people in your community are leading. Personally every time I read it I wondered if i had any right to be eating all the things I was, I just couldn't eat, the guilt was too much. I could not convince myself that I was not responsible for the child who went hungry tonight, isn't the blood on all our hands? It has been one of the most traumatic books I have ever read. I questioned myself on my duty towards the hunger problem, I have tried to find out about hunger in my community, I have tried to learn more about food banks, about this food drive that the hare rama hare krishna people run in india and abroad, I have thought long and hard about this, I am not doing anything close to what I think I should be doing, but the book has definitely gotten me thinking in the direction. I am no longer oblivious to the fact that there is a problem and it needs to be addressed. And yet, I am the wuss who could not finish reading the book. It was just excruciatingly painful, I admit defeat.

No comments: