Friday, November 14, 2008

what cannot be cured

i agree with this idea of what cannot be cured must be endured, completely. only i think if you are going to endure it you might as well enjoy it, because it is in very bad taste to endure something and let the effort show. that is no endurance. that is just you displaying your martyr complex, which is useless to those around you and decidedly harmful to the well being and growth of your own soul.

i am not saying endurance is easy, but you can teach yourself to endure well, with a smile, like it is not even an issue. i am speaking from experience. i have taught myself to endure driving in traffic jams, cooking, and watching stupid govinda movies.

no one likes to be struck in a traffic jam. i would say my husband was the inspiration for that. this man, who is the epitome of sanity, patience, and decorum in my book, is trasformed into a wholly unrecognizable individual. he is constantly figeting, changing lanes, and just so out of it that you don't want to be in the same car as him. no he is not yelling or swearing or anything, he is too much of a gentleman to do that, just in a bad mood, completely irritated, and distracted. which to me, is senseless - because there is nothing you can do about it.

i have taught myself to enjoy traffic jams. unless i am horribly late, in a particularly bad mood, or have one of my ear splitting migranes -in which case i confess, i do, sometimes, take out my frustration and use up my limited vocabulary of bad words on the other drivers- i refuse to let traffic jams bother me. i know i accpet i cannot do anything about them, so i enjoy them. this is my time to relax, think, and most of all to sing songs loudly, off key and no one can object. :D what's not to love? if you can plan ahead, leave in time, factoring in the jam, trust me you can actually learn to look forward to them. sound crazy? sure. no, you are right. it is much more saner to hurl obscenities at strangers who are as helpless as you are. that's your story. you stick to it.

no , i am not saying i have mastered the principle of shutting up when no one wants to hear you, i am saying i am beginning to learn. and in some aspects i actually have figured out how to not let somethings bother me, and then to actually take pleasure in them. so, if any of this smacks of arrogance, then i need to learn to write better, but i am saying this with a complete awareness of all my other flaws.

what i am now trying to do is to teach myself to endure sitting in a jam, with other people who are getting antsy, they get on my nerves, but i am working on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, i don't mind the jams either

( unless i'm getting late for work, or if it's sunny )

~gina, s.f.