Wednesday, February 25, 2009

jaane kyon log mohabbat kiya karten hain

i never liked this song too much earlier, as in.... you see I did not get the question, jaane kyon log muhabbat kiya karate hain , ummm... isn't it obvious ? Elementary my dear Watson - types. and in that sense I still feel that, no one goes out of their way to put themselves in harm's way, matlab theek hai na, ho jata hai, kya kar sakten hain, you just bite your tongue and suffer the consequences. I think Ghalib was right when he said

Ishq pe zor nahi hai ye vo aatish ghalib,
jo lagaye na lage aur bujhaye na bujhe.

So in that light really you do not get the blame for being in love, its not your fault, we will find someone else to blame. Later ;) n i have so much to say about this, I am going to write another post.

Anyways, I digress, I was telling you why I have begun liking this song now. Its mostly the way it is sung, the highs and the lows, and the way the lyrics go, they tell a story, parts of it so predictable , but the nice kind of predictable, that makes you feel good -- see, I knew this, types. For example this one here
saavan mein aankhon ko kitana rulaati hai
so you ask your self the question ki kya? kya rulati hai, and you already know the answer - kuch andaaz to hai aapko ki kya rulati hai, so when you hear the response
purakat mein jab dil ko kisi ki yaad aati hai
you feel good now, you knew it !! There - that is why I like this song, it gives me an ego boost, mujhe jawaab aaten hain, wah wah wah!

I guess there is more, like:
tanhaayi milti hai mehfil nahi milti
raah-e-mohabbat mein kabhi manzil nahi milti
see... to someone like me that sounds tempting? Were you trying to put me off? Ain't working bro!

and then I particularly like this part, listening to it,
mehaboob se har gum manasoob hota hai
din raat ulfat mein tamaasha khoob hota hai
raaton se bhi lambe
ye pyaar ke kisse
aashiq sunaate hain zafa-e-yaar ke kisse
bemuravvat hai
bevafa hai vo
us sitamagar ka
apne dilabar ka
naam le le ke duhaayi diya karate hain

I so completely disagree with it on an intelectual plane, as in its too sexist, aashiq sunaate hain zafa-e-yaar ke kisse, arre? what about men? are men not unfaithful? phir ? lopsided kyon? anyways, sometime you can keep your politics aside and just listen to a song. Or perhaps, most of the times :)

No comments: