Wednesday, September 24, 2008

DDLJ

so i was stuck in traffic, nothing new, happens everyday, apparently the whole world drives into the city at 6:45 am. I am not being singled out for torture - what a relief- yeah right.

traffic is not what this story is about, the thing is while being struck in traffic, trying to drink my coffee, and pretending to be awake, i pushed a tape in to the player and guess what I heard?

हो गया है तुझको तो प्यार सजना, लाख कर ले तू इनकार सजना :D

for a few minutes there i was nineteen again. वक्त रुक जा, थम जा, ठहर जा, वापस ज़रा दौड़ पीछे...

:)

do you know what i am talking about? you hear this one line and it takes you back to a land far far away, a place that does not even exist anymore except in your head.

i remember this movie, it came out when i was in second year and for some reason i was not able to go watch it. All my friends had decided ki meri jindagi barbaad hai maine DDLJ nahin dekhi, so I ended up watching it ten times because everyone - everyone, from my bua to my grade school friend - had made it their mission in life to take me to watch DDLJ.

Now i am no meek submissive goat. i went of my own volition, again and again, because of that one scene - the one on the railway station - when they both get off the train and are going their own separate ways. I remember the first time i saw it, i almost cried, i was like please, please stop her, stop her you idiot. I sent so many thought forms and telepathic messages to shah rukh khan i am surprised that the screen did not explode.

I no longer like that ghar aaja pardesi song... theek hai na, ab yehi ghar hai, yahin rehte hain hum, bus, ab koi aana jana nahi ho raha. jo insaan jahan hai vahan khush rahe, nahi reh sakta hai to chup rahe.

I still like the usse kaho kabhi saamne to aaye... mostly for old times sake. it was a very young bubbly song then,and i still remember that poem - aisa pehli baar hua hai satrah athrah saalon me. But i guess that is not saying a lot, coz i remember way too many poems :)

oh and tujhe dekha to ye jana sanam... just has to be The - THE MOST ROMANTIC song of......, of, of my youth? ye to koi zyada exaggeration nahi hai. The thing is it is gentle, delicate, exquisite and yet oh so intense. aankhen meri sapne tere, dil mera yaaden teri, meri aankhon me aansoo tere aa gaye, muskurane lage saare gum ...

So, that is settled then.

The most romantic song of my youth. hmm..................

ab yahan se kahan jaayen hum... teri bahon me mar jayen hum...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Man! I could've written that post (well, except the part about not seeing the movie when it came out first..) I can so identify with sending all sorts of telepathic messages to Raj to stop Simran and ofcourse the lines ऐ वक्त रुक जा, थम जा, ठहर जा, वापस ज़रा दौड़ पीछे...
But you know what, a couple of months back, this movie was on some channel and I didnt want to watch it because I dont think I want to (and I dont know if I can even) feel those emotions that it evoked at that age and that point of time...you know what I mean?

-R

Anonymous said...

I hope you know which "R" it is-you 886 companion!

transient said...

yes i do!!

main actually kal hi yaad kar rahi thi tera dialogue " ab mere jaane ka time aa gaya hai " tujhe yaad hai?

and i hear you, I know what you mean about not wanting to feel those same emotions again and then you start getting itchy, so yeah maybe it would be hard to watch the movie now. the songs are a bit different though.

But then also on the other hand, some days i want to pretend in my head that i am there again, in that time and i allow myself to feel all of that all over again and you know what , it is therapeutic. i actually feel happier.

i figure this is harmless. or at least i want to convince my self that it is. hmm...