Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Jane Austen Book Club

Just saw the movie - The Jane Austen Book Club (2007), was okay but got me thinking of all those amazing Austen books, of falling in love, of getting married, of love vs reason, of the uncertainties of the future, of the hope of youth, but above all of friends - past and present. And each of those deserve separate posts, which i am going to write in the future. For now i want to talk about the books.

Which is my favorite Austen book? I don't know. I like them all. Who is my favorite Austen heroine? Well... I don't know. We all want to be Elizabeth Bennett now don't we? :) I do too a little bit, but I guess I like Emma a lot more. Lizzy is so perfect in most respects, but she is scared of making mistakes, of making a fool of herself, may be because she is surrounded by all these people that embarrass her to no end, but i would like to see her take a risk once in a while.

Emma makes a lot more mistakes, and i love her for she blushes for them profusely :) She is equally critical of herself and others, but she is so much willing to accept her mistakes and works so hard to improve herself.

I do not think being safe all the time is the way to go in life, you have to put yourself out there - a little bit at least. And i guess that is why Fanny Price does not really cut it too well with me, no i like her, its hard to not like an Austen heroine, but sometimes i wish she did somethings differently.

Wait, should we start a Jane Austen Book Club too? Wow I would love that. Let me know if you want to participate.

No comments: