Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Ender's game

I read Ender's game when a student of mine asked me how I could be a science teacher and not read science fiction? I really did not know what to say. You see, I could not figure out if it was a very smart question or a very stupid question to ask. What is the correlation? Is there one? Do all science teachers read science fiction? Should we not instead look down upon it, after all it's not real science now is it? Don't journalists look down upon paparazzi? They don't get the real news :)

okay, bad analogy. Kill me.

I have read a lot of science fiction since, thanks to some very dedicated students and a die hard science fiction junkie of a friend.

I think Ender's Game is high on the list. Though the second time round it was not that much fun, once you know the secret it is hard to be surprised, but then all thrillers suffer from that flaw. Personally i think it is a great book to read once at least, though in all honesty I must admit that none of my book club women liked it, which is very surprising to me and very disheartening because that book on their list was the reason I joined their club in the first place that and Sense and Sensibility. So I was disappointed in them, they keep reading all those sad, tear jerking, emotionally manipulative stories from the middle east, and they wrinkle up their noses at this. But consider the demographics, they are all white middle aged women in their early 30's to late 60's, if you donot belong to that group, you just might like the book. I do. And I am the only brown person in there. :) No, don't nobody go around construing that as racism, I am just stating a fact here, and yes, there probably is no correlation either, i am just .... making a rationalization, mostly because i really like my book club and i really wanted them to like Ender's Game, and it is very isolating to be the only person in the room who says I loved the book and every one else looks at you like you are from another planet, because they all hated it.

No comments: