Thursday, April 9, 2009

kaun kehta hai tujhe maine bhula rakhha hai?

- by Jan Nisaar Akhtar

I am looking for a link to upload Talat Mahmood's beautifully sung version too, haven't figured out how to put my own mp3's and haven't found one on the web yet. Will do that asap. I think it's a beautiful poem.


कौन कहता है तुझे मैंने भुला रखा है
तेरी यादों को कलेजे से लगा रखा है

लब पे आहें भी नहीं आँख में आंसू भी नहीं
दिल ने हर राज़ मुहब्बत का छुपा रखा है

तूने जो दिल के अँधेरे में जलाया थे कभी
वो दिया आज भी सीने में जला रखा है

देख जा आके महकते हुए ज़ख्मों कि बाह्रर
मैंने अब तक तेरे गुलशन को सजा रखा है

It's a very nice poem, I just have some issues with लब पे आहें भी नहीं आँख में आंसू भी नहीं दिल ने हर राज़ मुहब्बत का छुपा रखा है, no, I think it is a beautiful line, and to large degree it is true to a lot of people. It sounds hard but it is not. Most people I know do it without even thinking about it. Things they want from life, things they had hoped to have, they put it so deep inside themselves no one would be able to guess what their deepest desires are. We keep going through the rigmarole of everyday existence in some misplaced sense of upholding the sanctity of what must be done. So my question then is, to what purpose? छिपा ही लिया तो कौन सा तीर मार लिया, बता भी देते तो क्या आफत आ जाती साहब?

Life is only as simple or as complicated as you choose to make it. It is the simplest thing in life, to admit what you want and it is equally simple to fall into the rut of denial, of insisting nah, I don't care. Unfortunately, over time, we get emotionally invested in our positions, we consider it a loss of face to recant. The ego is a bad commander, it rakes up unnecessary casualties. If there is one thing I have learned in all my years, it is that putting things out in the open and talking about them is far saner than pushing them under the carpet. Have I digressed too far from the topic? I don't know. What I am trying to say is that people react surprising well, when you tell them how actually feel about a particular issue, in most cases the fears you have built up are in your head alone. Eventually people are people, and we are more alike than we are different, and we are more nicer than we are not, and we actually do understand each other more than we do not. It is my ego that wants me to think I am unique and different and you will just not understand what I am trying to tell you, because it is devastating to think that I am not, that you just might actually get it. But, where is the grandeur in that?

Actually i do think i am on track, because this love business, these movies, and poems, and books, have just blown it out of proportion, made it into the monster that it is not. It is a very simple thing falling in love, it should be equally simple admitting it. Liking you doesn't make me any less of a person, so what's the big deal here?

then again maybe that is not what the poem is saying. I am really confused here, the thing is I have been working on something that is very closely related to this poem and I have been going over its meaning over and over to the point where it has become meaningless, its like the same word repeatedly on a loop, mother, mother, mother, mother, till you wonder what mother means.

right! yeah, I think I should go to sleep.

No comments: