Thursday, March 5, 2009

resisting temptation

There is this theory - i have no idea who proposed it for the first time, but I heard it from Gandhiji, so in my head this is his theory - that if you cannot control your mind then you control your body.

Let me try explaining it, and I will give you an analogy that I understand, for example if there is a piece of cake in front of me, I know I should not eat it, its only going to fill my blood with useless sugar, and no good has ever come of sugar floating around in the blood, so in theory I should not even want to eat that cake, I know its only going to hurt me, but does that work out in practice? Does knowledge really protect me? Does it give me any power over my weaknesses?

It doesn't matter what your particular drug of choice is - a cigarette, that one drink, or it could be a person to some people ;) its your personal temptation, you cannot help it. And don't let anybody else convince you that their temptation is still fine, yours is wrong. Bah! stuff and nonsense! A temptation is a temptation is a temptation there are no moral degrees to it, you fell for one or you fell for the other, you fell, period, now focus on getting up and moving on.

That is one thing I am very clear about in life, I do not judge people for what makes them lose their balance, I am just interested in seeing how they react to this loss, and how do they propose to regain control or may be they don't. They say, I am going to drink myself to death, jo rok sake vo rok le. And that is fine too. You have to admit there is a romance to Devdaas's self destruction, so really, I won't stop you, if you tell me you plan to do that too.


Getting back to the topic, assuming you do want to get back on track, then lets see how Gandhiji's idea works - this is from this book the story of my experiments with truth which was my bible when I was growing up, so i am writing from memory, and my own personal interpretation of it, so no body go around suing me for misquoting him, grr... the society we live in, you cannot say one sentence without a disclaimer! So anyways, - he says that if you cannot control your mind then you control your body. That is, let that piece of cake be in front of you, fine, you cannot stop wanting it right? Okay go ahead tell your mind to keep wanting it, but just tell him, we ain't gonna co-operate! The hands are not going to pick it, the mouth is not going to eat it -- that much I control. Then as you get more control, you move your head away from it, hell if you can, you get up and throw that lousy cake in the garbage, your mind can hanker all it wants, but you see, you control your body, and eventually, through the body you control your mind, un till it gives up. Classic non co-operation :D hai na fundu!!

It works!! I am telling you it does. I have used it to great success as a young girl. Only as you grow older you sometimes throw away even the tools that worked, or you put them in storage and forget that you had them.

Nope. Please. Next time you see me eating cake, don't you dare come up to me and say, why what happened to Gandhiji's theory, damn, I hate people like that, and may be I will not say anything to your face but I promise you I will hate you inside. Theory is theory and cake is cake .... अब ठीक है , वो मूर्ख ही क्या, जिसको बात समझ जाए?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol Transient! The last sentence is a stroke of genius! I read this piece with great interest and was almost getting motivated and then I read the last sentence...

--R

transient said...

बिलकुल जी! मूर्खों कि इज्ज़त का सवाल है।

Gagan said...

hats off madam...majestic!! yr words are truly majestic!..I am feeling lucky that I follow yr blog

You play with us..It was a roller-coaster read..from serious to interesting to curious to motivating to non sense theory to smile to grin to Laugh and to rolling on a floor and then getting up and feel as if somebody made you fool.

I am feeling like a small puppy whose owner had shown him some food item, I am running behind you, jumping in air to grab it and after all the efforts finally when I get that piece of food..I find it made of plastic which I can not eat for only chew:)) u play with us ..achha nahi hai..badla leyge hum:)

transient said...

एक सेकंड! न ये हो क्या रहा है यहाँ पे? जब तो मैं मारुँ कोई चुटकुला तब तो आवे न किसी हो हसी, और अब जो मैं इतनी सीरियस सी बात करुँ तो वाह भाई लोगां ने मजाक लागे सै।

@gagan: bete I am very serious. Oh! no! you don't get to complain about bete, coz you called me madam, you opened the door for that one, you 'mam' me you get bete, fair and square. i learned this from someone loooooooooong back, fourteen years back.

I think I was very serious in that post, I was not trying to manipulate anything, and I think R gets that, I know her so I know that she does, I don't know you that well, so I am going to try and explain my self again, i guess that last part is me trying to admit that i am in fact helpless in the face of my temptation, it is sad really, i try to get up everytime i fall, but i don't need someone else to point out that i fell, i know i fell... don't rub it in my face sort of, or don't rub it in anybody's face, we all fall, we all fall for different things, so none of us really should be judging any one else for their failures. Yes, I think that was what i was trying to say.

just one look and i hear a bell ring, one more look and i forget everything .... mamma mia....

afterall फिर वो टेम्पटेशन ही क्या जो पथभ्रमित न कर दे...