Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Women I love

I started writing a dedication. I know! pehle kitab to likh lo.... but, if it ever gets written then this is who it is going to be dedicated to : Those amazing women in my life. I started writing it and I could not stop myself, it just kept coming.

To all those amazing women in my life:
My nani, dadi, my mom, massis, buas, mamis, chachis, tayees, mother-in-law, my sisters-in-and-outlaws and my wonderful friends

You hold in you the wisdom of centuries

You keep in you my stories, just like I carry yours with in me.

You taught me :

how to hope, to dream, to hold on
to walk gracefully and to run with abandon
to cook with my heart and to love with my soul

you share with me my pain
my pain of giving birth, of falling in love, of letting it all go

from you I learned how to lose gracefully, to step aside
to win with dignity, to make space for others

to walk into a room full of people and say how can I help?
to say you sit down, i will clean up this mess

you taught me that tomorrow is another day
life is not fair
and love
it does not last forever
yet it is worth having, worth wanting and worth fighting for
and men, no they are not perfect
men, they are not women
and yet they are worth having, worth wanting and worth fighting for
(yes, you have to fight other women for them, but hey! only so much fish in the pond)

that you have to do what you have to do
that death will still come for you
out of the blue

I will lose the ones I love
my work will never be done
I will grow old, my hair will fall, my skin will sag
and no amount of lotions or creams will stop that

that it is all in my head
this concept of heaven and hell

that shutting up is a skill worth mastering
that patience is a virtue of the strong
and that right no matter what can never be wrong

that salvation is a myth
time is eternal
and life
just goes on


Hope springs from your heart, love takes form in your eyes, and healing; it begins at your hands.

I try to break free and be different from you and yet am forever doomed to mimic your words, repeat your mistakes, and relive your histories.

It is beside you that I find peace in my wretchedness, deliverance from my demons, and absolution for my sins.

It is in you that I find me.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Subah subah rula diya re! That is just BEAUTIFUL and so true, each and every word. I could actually hear you say it and see your expressions too. I would really wait for the day that I can actually read it holding your published book in my hand.

transient said...

:) sorry? sorry bolun rulane ke liye? thank you bol deti hoon...

Tania said...

Simply beautiful!

transient said...

uh oh! and what about the rage at the line ' having to fight other women for them' ? :D how come you didn't talk about that? I have been thinking about that part for a while now, it might be wrong, it might be unfortunate, but it is true. isn't it though?